Monday, August 27, 2012

Busy Weekend

I had the busiest, craziest, most sleepless weekend I've had in a very long time.  For the first time ever I was actually looking forward to a Monday so I could sleep in a little bit and actually relax (sorry to all you working folks out there).  I won't go into all the dirty details of this weekend but let's just say there was a lot of moving and a lot of organizing with some fun mixed in.  My muscles are so sore today that I'm pretty sure I won't be doing a lot of heavy lifting in the near future so that will fall on Chris (poor guy!).  I hope he's up for the challenge!

Friday night I stayed at my mom's to help her pack up the house.  She finally sold it and is now in the process of packing everything up, giving things away, and moving out.  When she called me on Thursday to ask me if I wanted to come stay one last time at the house I grew up in, I knew it wasn't because she missed my quick wit and funny demeanor (although, that was part of it!).  She was really just planning to put me to work, and boy did she.  We were packing boxes like our lives depended on it.  And slowly but surely we got stuff done and my pile of goodies that I was taking back to my house was growing larger and larger (again, poor Chris!).

We woke up bright and early on Saturday morning because some friends of my mom's came over to help put things on the back of the U-Haul.  It was sad for me to see all of our possessions being carried out of that house.  I teared up a few times but had to pull myself together because I didn't want anyone to see me cry!  There are a lot of good memories there and my dad really put his heart and soul into making that house a home for us.

A few months ago I had gone back there to take a few pictures so I would always have those memories.  I'm sure there are boxes full of photos from when the house was first built (that's something else I'll have to go through sooner or later) but for now I just have these.

(Top Left: Driving up to the house, Top Right: The shed,
Bottom Left: The carport,Bottom Right: The deck that Dad built!) 

I have other pictures but the quality is so bad that I won't share those.  There are a few things that I just love about this house: Dad built the deck and finished off the basement all by himself.  He was really handy and always had a new project to work on.  One thing I love about going back home is walking through the house and remembering all the work he had done.      

On Sunday I hung out with my friend Sarah.  She was telling me over dinner a few weeks ago that she wanted to organize and update her house and I (overly enthusiastically) offered to help.  Apparently when I get really excited I'm unable to finish sentences so I stammer on and on while a million thoughts go through my head on what projects we could do.  It's actually hilarious to hear Sarah describe what I was like.  I'm just glad I can entertain.  :-)

She took me to church that morning, went to lunch after, and then headed back to her house to start the projects.  I'll leave the details for a later post but let's just say that her spare bedroom closet was organized and we went out to Lowes to buy a few things to make a hall closet into a pantry.  We'll be finishing those projects tomorrow night (after a night of much needed rest) and we'll take loads of pictures to share with you at a later date!  I am so excited for the finished project and cannot wait to see how it turns out!

Stay tuned!

(L-R) Sarah, Emily, and I at my bachelorette party!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment